I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Movie Review #1: The day I couldn't sit still, let alone stand

What's the title again? The day the Earth.. err what?

Read my lips. It is called The Day The Earth Stood Still. They should have renamed it tho. Maybe 'The Day You Will Waste Two Hours of Your Life' instead.

So, if you haven't watched it, please read my lips again. Please don't watch it. Please. By the way, mind you, I warn you that this entry may contain spoilers.

Let's be blunt okay; this is definitely not a good movie; it's not horrid either, it's just somewhere between average and bad. For the record (my personal record that is) that movie is the worst ever movie that I have watched all my entire life. Even that horrible Cabin Fever, the one we watched back in good ol' days in Kuantan was alot better. I didn't know they still made movies as bad as this.
Go figure.


The movie was rather abysmal for my liking. It did not live up to my hype, to my high expectation. (well, we want something that worths the money, right?)

But of 'cos, if you're a die hard fan of that dashing Keanu Reeves, maybe you should go and judge it for yourself. I've just checked the box office top 10 list and amazingly, and dimly (how in the world it happened?) stated there that this such movie is number 4, my friends.

The main reason for me to watch that movie would be Jennifer Connelly(love her eyes) and Kathy Bates. Okay okay. Keanu as well (duh.. haha). What else would you expect from a list of great actors other than 2 hours of quality-plot-packed worth of ticket buying movie?
I was hugely, hugely disappointed.

One credit though I would give to that adorable Will Jada’s kid. Maybe he shouldn't be portrayed in such way but who cares? How can he possibly be that spoiled, smart brat? It's such a crime. Really. lol

They must have realized however, that having Robert Knepper (or famously known as T-Bag) as the Colonel was bound to provoke some skepticism. I mean come on! A prominent, evil form originated from a cool series of Prison Break who raped women and boys was given the responsibility to pull the trigger in order to save the world?
I don't think so.

There were some quotes which I remembered because they were so striking and I was surprised at the values that were conveyed: Klaatu (that's Keanu's name in the movie, I had to like suppress my chuckles just listening to it) demands to speak to the world leaders and asks the Secretary of Defense of the United States, "Do you speak for the entire human race?" when she replies "I speak for the President of the United States".

I couldn't help but wonder throughout the movie: Does America speak for the human race? I think it's a highly topical issue and subtly addressed in the movie. Let's just stop here about America and their idealogy of human race and world peace.

Another scene that I couldn't forget was the description by the alien disguised as an old Chinese: "The terrible thing is they sense which direction they are going but they are doing nothing" (or something along those lines, I nearly had my eyes closed, mind you).

Rather unnecessary really. At least that's what I thought. The reason why it sticks.

Last but not least humanity was trying to fight off the alien invaders. Klaatu says it himself when the boy asks him whether he would fight or run away and he says, "There is nothing you can do". Yet it was ironic to see how people think that the means of weaponry and machines stand a chance against alien forces. Looking at all the effects makes you wonder once in awhile that humans are indeed clueless about things.

Smug indeed!

So there. The day my earth stood still indeed. Over the over-the-top green-the-world activists' campaign.

'I know, I know. We should have watched Australia instead. I know.'

*sighs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuhh Suria! you have given me an elaborated movie reviews here..I was about to watch that movie actually, unfortunately not being able to. Luckily I've read your latest posting..or else I must have regret it thou the casting sounds so tempting to watch. Then, I should watch Australia by Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman (his a hunk :-)don't you think?)

heliocentrism said...

You have no idea Azah how disappointed I was. And trust me I kept looking at my watch, waiting for the agony of just sitting there to soon end.

It's been awhile since I last went to a cinema, so handsome- expressionless-wooden stick(see I can go on like this forever just to prove to you that his act this time around is just..blurrgh) Keanu didn't help one bit.

The minute my mate and I rushed out after the credits rolled, my eyes sadly glued to the giant poster of that hot Hugh. He's a hunk alright. Arrgh!

hahahaha

LyD M.R said...

we? what do u mean by we in ur last sentence there????? i'm serious! so pls answer my question!

p/s: i've been waiting for 3months since i knew the movie will b released on Dec 08 n ur honest review has caused me to consider whether to watch the muvi or not tho i liiiiioooookkkeee keanu so much! haihhh!!!! answer my Q!

heliocentrism said...

Iiisyk kamu. You so gonna kena la Lyd. Sabo je la..