I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Heartbreak

On the first day of Eid al-Adha, together with another two joyous, bubbly friends, we went to pay a visit at our other friend’s house. The minute I saw Sue (not her real name..he he), I was simply alarmed, seeing how frail she looked. Only last Aidilfitri we met and yakked, and boy we were so stuffed with food I thought both of us were the chubbiest charming people in the whole room at our teacher’s open house. But seeing her now, she has lost weight!

Without beating around the bush, she said it, her eyes abit puffy, “My boyfriend and I broke up.”


I remember myself sighing at that exact moment, for it was still fresh in my mind about a year ago when Sue went through the same thing, and please note, with the same guy. Only this time, he’s going out with another new girl. So there, I said it. My poor friend; got dumped over some chick. For the second time.

But.

From the way she said it this time, there’s no way she’ll end up running into his arms again. She said she has learned to really let go, no matter how much she still loves him.




While enjoying the generous spread of Raya dishes, three of us girls listened to her rumblings. She was involved in that relationship for 6 years (phew) until that useless jerk decided to break it off. She was clearly very devastated as she had always assumed they would end up married to each other.

I can see as much as she said she is trying to get over him, she can't seem to repress the strong feelings and that I must say is tearing her apart. She skipped days of work after the breakup, and still she finds it hard to eat, sleep, even to go about her regular daily bustles. Everything reminds her of memories they shared, I mean even scratching her nose reminds her of that jerk.

Then out of nowhere, dear Tini (also not her real name) grumbled, “Just forget him, Sue. There’s no use of thinking about him anymore. I mean, we should know when to leave things the way they should be, especially when he’s the one saying bye.”

Fiera (bukan nama sebenar) and I were looking at each other, giving the ‘look’ as a signal of ‘geez Tini, give her a break”. Eventhough I myself do believe that it’s a closed case, when your supposedly spouse dumped you. But maybe there's a hidden story behind it all. Who knows?

Sue didn’t flinch though thank God. She heaved an elaborated sigh and whispered, “Trust me, I’m trying.”

I mean I know for a fact that it is never easy when a relationship ends. The memories are still fresh, the thoughts and feelings are all still there and then there’s the problem of "I hate him-no-I want him back" to deal with. How you choose to handle it is up to you, but it’s not going to be easy no matter what. Still, how well you rebound can be determined by what path you choose to take. Right?

Yeah, I know it’s easy said than done. Make no mistake about it; getting dumped is awful. I mean come on, you invest weeks, months, or even years with someone – then that someone decides that he’d or she’d be better off without you. Suddenly, there’s a hole, a big gap in your life where a significant other used to be. Nights, weekends, holidays, everything takes on a new shade when you’re flying solo.

And while it’s tempting to wallow in misery, keep the points below in mind, still sooner or later you will realize that it’s not that bad. Maybe just maybe something/someone better is waiting there.

Maybe not some over the top portrayal of dashing knight with shining armor riding a helluva hot white horse, but still.

It’s never wrong to dream, and to always keep your options wide open.

And that’s what I told her the day I sent her off at the bus station the next day. I wish for her happiness to soon greet her again.

Boy she looks smokin’ hot now she’s lost more than 5 kilos, only less than a month! Her ex would be eating his heart out soon. Trust me. And maybe he’d be kneeling on his knees begging and pleading for Sue to take him back?

Sweet revenge, ey?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely dash away the jerk who dumped me for other gal. It's hard, very freaking hard to erase someone once so special in your life but life must go on..I believe 'Sue' will be better in time.Focus in pursuing your life, determination and strength can rebuild shattered feelings and one day she'll meet someone just meant for her..I believe...

heliocentrism said...

Dear Azah,

I met her again last weekend and what I can say is that, I think she's recovered. In a way, I believe that losing that one love, the one she used to think the greatest of all; was just one experience of making a mistake out of lots to come.

A lesson to most of us too, don't you think?