I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Top 10 Most Irritating Expressions. 'Ya think so?

So I came across this online article on the overused of certain words. I'm not fairly sure though the findings are based on 70 percents of the world's English-talking general population or whatnot 'cos it's very brief but this is what some Oxford so-called brains had their minds on.

Researchers at the University of Oxford compiled a list of the Top 10 Most Irritating Expressions in the English language.

Here are the ten awful phrases:

1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time
5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/7
10 - It's not rocket science

It's stated that Oxford scholars maintain a big database of overused words and phrases called the Oxford University Corpus. The list of irritating expressions is from Jeremy Butterfield's book, Damp Squid: The English Language Laid Bare

So.

Having said that, at this moment in time, I personally think that it's a nightmare that people are sometimes judged from the way they talk or write for that matter. It's not a rocket science when it comes to language and communication and with all due respect to the Oxford researchers, I do find it's fairly unique when a large number of people are using the same overused words or phrases in their daily sentences.

I mean, come on. At the end of the day, we are simply just human beings trying to express our thoughts and feelings 24/7, regardless of using way too many times the same words. Absolutely forgivable.

This shouldn't of got highlighted.

Get it??!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Suria,

I am guilty of using all of the above. LOL

heliocentrism said...

Everyone is ma'am, at this point.

I mean, come on! lol

Anonymous said...

suria..aku mmg sokmo guna phrases tue, supervisor aku lagi, hari-hari guna..typical oxford!!!!

heliocentrism said...

Anonymous aka sue lynn,

memandangkn mu di oxford, apetah lagi supervisor sendirik gune sume tu, jadi dirimu lebih tao.

so with that.. I rest my case. ha ha