I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Monday, November 3, 2008

Over kopi ais kaw and keropok goreng

Okay, bear with me this time. It's not usually my thing to muse about. But da hell? There's always a first to everything, right?

So, here goes nothing. I was having my favourite coffee ice and keropok goreng with a girlfriend of mine about few weeks ago after a few hours of strolling looking for a wedding gift at my favourite kopitiam, when the conversation turned to our usual topic: men. Ha ha. (Yikes)

She asked me about my relationship/love life, to which I quickly answered; 'aah? Po kobondo eh?' (like always) Then in less than 5 seconds, I turned things 360 degree. Fast. I mean, I rather shy talking 'bout myself. (not for long anymore I guess)




Immediately I asked her about hers.

In no time at all she started rambling on her previous boyfriend who was a total jackass; the type who wants you to solve his problems, be there whenever he needs you; pronto. The type who thinks he’s the most handsome guy, after George Clooney that is (come on, no one can beat Georgie), and who always thinks his girl can’t move on if he dumps her.

Made me soar to the sky when she told me one day that ‘It’s over. I can’t take it anymore. He’s history.’


About time. I could have jumped into my ‘Told ya’ smirk speech at the time, but thought better of it.

After about 10 mins (hey, am a human being after all. telling ya', 10 mins were waay to long at the time.. ha ha), I couldn’t listen to her moaning about her ex flame anymore so I jumped in, asking, ‘Who’s the new flavour?’. She has no trouble looking for an alternate, even back then in school.

To my bewilderment (so she’s faced this kind of dilemma too. .yay), she said she really fancies this guy at her workplace, and they went out a couple of times; together with the other colleagues, and he seems like he likes her but she’s not sure.

'Why don’t you just ask him?' I said while munching on some keropok goreng. (Keropok; one object out of all in the whole universe that my mum still has an issue on..but again that's another story)


A mouthful of 'teh peng' almost spluttered out of her mouth at that. Then, with her big eyes (even bigger than the woman in Guiness, trust me, at least at the time), she went, 'What???? No way!'

I shrugged. Well, at least it would eliminate the guesswork. A shortcut. If the answer’s in the affirmative, you would cut all that time wasted endlessly dreaming about it.

For me, there are only three things that could happen:

Scenario 1: 'So you're not interested, uh.' So what. Move on. Your lost. Kumbang bukan sekor laa. Go to hell.

Scenario 2: 'Omg. I just knew it. We belong to each other. Why didn't you tell me sooner that you like me all along?!'. Pat there. Hug here. Smooch there. And we live happily ever after.

Scenario 3: 'Oh, you're gay.' Interpretation: Fine, so it's not that I'm not pretty and not a sexy mama. Ass guy. Hell no. Yuck.

So yeah, I told her, there's no harm in asking the question. Just ask him whether he fancies you, or not.

Alright. Stop right there. I know what's on your mind. Perhaps you're saying, 'Easy for you to say aa? Try do it yourself'.' Well, I won't argue on this one. I mean I was giving her a thought. That's all. He he.

Back to the kopitiam. Then she dropped the bomb, 'If you like a guy, would you tell him how you feel straight away?'. Smart punk. lol

'Well....' I prolonged that one word much to her annoyance.

And trying to be such a smart ass by putting up smart thoughts, more or less invisibly equipped with the mental notes from articles published by those chick mags, I replied, ‘Me? Geez. I dunno. Thing is, you’re not me. So, maybe what you should do is, get to really know about this guy, like test the water or something. Gauge his reaction to certain suggestions. His interests. His likes and dislikes. Well 'ya knoe, read the signs.'

I nearly laughed hearing myself saying those words. Big time. Read the signs konon. Ha ha.

But there she was, my dear friend, who just got out from a messy, tangled relationship, still sore from the outcome of it, looking all naive and all, blinking at me, trying to gobble my words.

Serious stuff, bro. So, I tried hard to tone down my facial expression as well, relaxed my jaw and sighed. Sipping my kopi ice.'You'll know when the time comes. Bet he likes you too. No worries. Don't put so much thoughts to it'

Then another few encounters on men, and we went home.

I bet another few months 'til another meeting like this. Yakking about relationships. And bitching about things. And men.

Yikes.

No comments: