I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Monday, November 3, 2008

I teach. Therefore I am.

Teaching was never in my agenda. I never dreamed about becoming an educator. ‘Cos educating people is a very noble job and I didn’t think I was capable of giving something good to others.

I had a long list of rascal things committed back in schools where if you go and ask some of my primary/secondary teachers about me, geez, they would fill in about many things but having dignified, good qualities for teaching. (By the way, you should ask Madam Rozita; we went to the boy’s hostel while they went out for Friday’s prayer, did some scrutiny here and there.. shhh.. tell no one!)

Never. Like I said, it was never in my list of things.

By the way, I can’t even name one of my extended family members who is a teacher. U uh. Not even one. Guess teaching is definitely not in our blood. We are never a bunch of Kirby’s or Brinsford Lodge’s products.

Far from it.

Then, for some people/relatives who once upon a time bothered enough to hassle me with this ‘how dare you ask me that’ question; ‘You’ve spent half your damn lifetime sucking up Science, an ex MRSM student, then why suddenly TESL?’


Back then I just shrugged it off and answered, ‘Being a doctor is a no-no. Way too much factual craps.’

Let me be honest. Thing is, I couldn’t take it. Reading is my passion but meds books? God. Thought I could pull it off though. My journey back in matrix was hell. Except for the outings. Yeah. Going out, makan-makan and movie slots at Terminal One Seremban.

Loitering at Pasar Pagi Kuala Pilah, which was a delight for me ‘cos there were many pakciks and makciks who more than eager to talk and tell stories. (Some of my friends know how much I love chit chatting with the eldest and they still wonder why. Yeap. So much better than playing hide and seek with a 5 yo brat. Don’t ask me why.)

Other than those, u uh. Total rubbish.

So back to the journey of future youngsters’ Success!! (sure sure)

I was partly inspired by my primary school’s English teacher, Madam Rokayah. I mean, all throughout my life, of course I’ve been taught by many English teachers, even more
so when I took up TESL as my route to career undertakings.

However, she stands out from the rest. Simply.

She taught us the simplest way of understanding and learning English language. Up to this very minute, I am still trying to dig up memories on her method in teaching; on how out of the ordinary she made us listen to her or simply reacted vigorously to her.

One thing for sure, you can never be a strict, dreary teacher when it comes to teaching language ‘cos language is fun! You can never, never be dry. A big no-no. 'Cos there are so many ways in showing our students the beauty of it all.

It’s so not like Math or Physics where each subject has its definite formula and you can’t possibly make up a different solution in order to master it. But of course if would be a different case all together if you’re a Math or Physic prodigy for that matter.

Okay, maybe I shouldn’t just talk about her. It would abit unfair to my other lovely, motivating English teachers.

I also had the opportunity to be under Madam Siti Hajar’s wing when I was in MRSM YT Dungun for three lovely years. Her method in teaching English was abit different for Madam Rokayah’s cos she was more into talking.

Talk, talk, talk.

Expressing one’s opinion was always her thang..I mean thing. I can still remember the day she asked us to sit in circles in front of the class and tell about our favourite TV programme during our previous school holiday.

I remember that particular episode because I talked about ‘Green Green Grass By The River’ . It was a Taiwanese telenovela back in the mid 90’s so it was kinda funny ‘cos it was a bit different from the others. I mean most of my friends were talking bout this cool hip movies/TV programmes (can’t remember what tho’)

So you see, talking is always good because it builds up the confidence in us. Talk and you’d get noticed. Talk and you’d be heard.

She was also the backbone for our debate team. Go figure. She likes to talk, so she was kinda spread her virus to us. lol.

Then, we had this teacher (I won’t reveal the name) who maybe without her consciously knowing it, rather put in ‘OK’ way more than she should in her each uttered sentences. For example, ‘So class, ok.. complete the whole essay, ok.. in your book ok, the blue one? yeah ok and submit it to me by the end of this week, ok..’. lol.

Rather annoying for us at the time merely because we were lazy bums and the thought of composing another essay was beyond coping. Ha ha.

She was a super nice woman and with that, I spare her from saying much more. I mean, we’d never know what others might say about the way we talk/teach in class. Right?

Ok. Enough about her, ok. Am telling ya’, she’s good ok. Maybe a bit annoying in her own way, but she’s super sweet, ok?
(omg. See???)

Then one day, I made up my mind to really, really teach. As simple as that.

I mean come on. Teaching is so cool. They even devote one special day for teachers.


One day. Out of 365. Wow.

I mean come on, have you heard a ‘Engineer’s Day’ (sorry Cash.. haha) or a ‘Doctor’s Day’ (regardless how hard you guys studied, burning the midnight oil most nights and all) or …wait, wait one more.. or even a ‘Lawyer’s Day’ ( I know you like ‘outta town’ assigments Faa, so no case there) , anywhere?

Not in this life. Better luck next time, punk. He he.


No comments: