I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Of Celebrating Syawal and Waist-Expansion

I am bloated. With fats, carbs, sweets (so much for losing weight for the hundredth time). You name it. My weekend plus Deepavali break were filled with open houses’ treats. All of them served delicious spread! I can’t exactly recall how many sticks of satay I had, all together. Or lemang for that matter complete with a large serving of chicken rendang.

Heaven!

How in the world can you resist yourself from attacking those yummy Raya dishes. Well, I can’t. Never will.

I kept stuffing my face. Figuratively speaking of course. Or not? Lol.

It’s a shame though for not having the great opportunity to spend Deepavali with Mrs. Maha, my mother’s once-upon-a-time work colleague. If I’m not mistaken, this year is her fourth year leaving Kuantan for good and now staying with her daughter in Bangsar. She makes the best muruku and putu. And her dhal? Marvelous.

So, it’s really a missed opportunity for me to appreciate Indian’s cultures ‘cept for the night before Deepavali where I spent 3 long hours (it’s been a long time since I did that) watching that not-bad-at-all Shah Rukh Khan oops Datuk SRK’ s Om Shanti Om. Pretty cool, but you know, means nothing when there’s no food.

And worse, my mum’s best friend, Auntie Farah who is a muallaf; is out of town. She makes it as her tradition to still celebrate both Christmas and Deepavali even though she has converted to Islam thousand years before; for she sees it all as a token of appreciation to her whole other family members who are not muslims. She too is a great cook.


Just a waste that she’s now having a blast in Bali with her husband and kids, Iki and Liyana.

The world, particularly Malaysia is truly appreciated when I get to enjoy warmth, dear hospitality of people mostly outside of our usual outdos. It’s more than fun able to mix up, being now able to gobble up extra interesting mind exchange with the elders.


What a feeling. It’s no more about the same drills; like what’s up with school? or what’re you going to do next; the predictable yakking.

Have you realized that some great conversations in your life happened during a meal?

For an example, I had the slight opportunity of career-heartening myself with the taikos at my faculty and all, (especially the experienced, baldy ones) are more than eager to explain things. And mind you, talking and explaining while eating during the faculty’s open house celebration.

I’ve filled in about the new scent of being surrounded by other than Malays here before. Now, let’s venture on the other basic ground, which is gender.

Okay. Let see. Since I was in matrix, I rarely had many boys as classmates. Yeap. If I’m not mistaken, 6 boys and 19 girls for Hayat 9 class. Then, UiTM. Geez. Even worse. Last I remember (final year class that is), there were only about 3 boys.


So yeah. So much for having boyfriends. Ha ha.

Back to where I am now, boy, it seems like your horizons are pasted with male figures. All around you and I’m not saying this in an exasperating tone.
Are you kidding me? No way. Lol. Am enjoying the view, thank you very much.

One thing that amused me the most was when there were two office executives, bringing in cartons of ice-cream (the one in cups ones..) and trust me, most of us all, including the Dean, Prof Shukri himself as well, were more than fervent to indulge on the sinful desert.

Was quite a scrutiny, me eye-roaming all over the spacious meeting room, where the Profs and Drs (some are beyond their retirement scheme) and minors and staffs laughing happily together, chatting for having the spared moment to let everything loose for awhile; and yeah, slurping ice cream.

Anyway, there are still two open houses to attend to. Tomorrow would be the one of the staffs’ place and another one on Friday, Uncle Hashim’s.

Yum yum. Can't wait.


2 comments:

miss nugget said...

"If I’m not mistaken, 6 boys and 19 girls for Hayat 9 class. Then, UiTM. Geez. Even worse. Last I remember (final year class that is), there were only about 3 boys."

3 boys (or was it just 2??) and they rarely came to class and that made our class an "all-girl" class...girl power..girl school.... call it whatever..but it was just us girls...happening jugak kan??

heliocentrism said...

yea peed. I couldnt agree more. girl power is definitely lagi poowwer! lol