I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

You jump, I jump

'I see you'. Darn he's good.

Last Saturday, instead of going to bed early, my eyes were still wide-opened until late midnight watching Jack and Rose. With my father (he’s more into the sinking part). Yeap. Lol. My mother who was away for a few days having a blast in her ‘kampung’ would have laughed hard at us if she knew. We were glued to the screen until the moment the credit started to roll.

So, ‘Ada apa dengan Titanic?’

It’s a tragic love story. Obviously. I guess, maybe just maybe if Jack never would have died at the end, then the movie wouldn't have been such a success. The fact that he died, it left the viewers with tears running down their face wanting more. After everything Jack and Rose did to survive, through the water almost draining them, to getting shot at by Rose's fiancĂ©, to the ship sinking from underneath them, to freezing to death, Jack still died and Rose went on with her life.

That's a tragedy within itself.

From that perspective, I might add that it is about a human innocence (you can see that in Rose) that is challenged not with dishonesty, violence (Cal such a moron) or moral relativity, but with the simple fact of death itself, with the timelessness of our memories and hopes for touching the past.

I mean, we always think of the past, right.

Every moment in that movie is a cool one. I mean, I have to be frank here. My father asked me how many times already I’ve watched it, and I gleefully replied ‘quite a few times, but not more than five’. Lol. Leonardo was my Arthur (from Merlin? Duh) back then.

I appreciate the whole package. The plot, the casting, everything. Even the way Katie Bates aka ‘the new money’ takes Jack under her wing caught my attention. And I simply love the look on Jack when he knew that he couldn’t hop onto the board together with Rose in the freezing ocean. Such a heart-breaking moment.

Titanic is a great film of the romantic tradition. It speaks to our hearts and minds rather than mystifies, shocks or surprises them. Hopelessly shweet am tellin' you. It’s about love and emotions, and clearly that the storyline is earnest and straightforward, wearing its heart on its sleeve.

I treasure the honesty in it. As simple as that.

Staying up late watching Titanic that night, was purely for the fun of it, understanding some idealism in living life and not to forget, escapism. We need that. Once in awhile.

2 comments:

sukhi nahir said...

Dear Suria Hani,

Thank you for all the reading pleasure you have given this year. A Very Happy New Year to you, best wishes for as many of your dreams to come true as possible, and I look forward to reading more of your postings in the coming year.

heliocentrism said...

Dear sukhi nahir,

Happy New Year to you too! Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it. I wish you all the great great things in life. May you achieve the best for you and all around you. Take care.