I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Movie Review #5 : Knowing


We wanted to watch Fast and Furious 4 (who doesn’t right) but geez, it was full house. Then I noticed that they are already showing Knowing, starring Nicholas Cage and I quickly picked that one. Only after I happily wagged the tickets at his face that he said he wanted 12 rounds, the one with John Cena as the main actor. And I was like, ‘No way’. Lol. Better luck next time, pal.

You see, I’ve always liked his acting. Nicholas that is. Back then when I was small, I have this whole collection of his movies like The Family Man, Con Air, Face Off (so cool), Bringing Out the Dead ( I like this a lot for he played as a paramedic who had to work his butt off 24/7), City of Angels, and.. err many more.

This movie is basically about how fifty years ago, the students of a school buried a time capsule filled with their drawings of the future.
And at that very moment I remember my school also did the same thing where we put in all our love notes and sketches in a capsule which is stuck in the wall. The time capsule will be pulled out in 2013, if I’m not mistaken. Can hardly wait.

So you see, all the students drew something to be put into the capsule but this one spooky, sad looking girl. Instead of drawing a lovely house with blue sky and green grass, she wrote numbers, filling in the whole paper, not missing any spare space.

Then finally, in 2009, it's opened, and what's inside changes the fate of Professor John (Nicolas Cage) and his son Caleb and also the actual world as we know it. Then, you see, his boy gets the weird list of numbers, scribbled by this troubled girl that I’ve mentioned earlier.
Perhaps other human beings would never give the slightest thought about the numbers, John however sees a pattern in the randomness. MIT's Prof what. hehe


As he is such a super cool professor who teaches at MIT, to him the numbers appear to be predicting cataclysmic events, providing the date and the actual number of casualties. You can say all the major catastrophes like the 11th of September tragedy and even the big tsunami on 26th Dec.

As you might already know, most of the tragedies have already occurred, right. Unfortunately, there are three remaining. So this is when John starts to do his thang, I mean thing to save the world.

I won’t spill everything but a hint though; The final event is a massive solar flare that will kill "Everyone Else." It is actually a phenomenon where the weather would be so hot where densely speaking, the sun would spit out its super hot solar flare radiation.


Heliocentrism is what one of the cast mentions once and that got me on the spot. So maybe I should change my nickname. Trust me, it’s spooky.

All in all, what I can say is that, I enjoyed every second watching it. For me, the movie does succeed with most of the special effects, including an amazing plane crash sequence. So cool.

I like it.


2 comments:

umm ruman said...

Dear Suria..

The way you wrote the review tempted me to watch the movie. Good review and let us know what is your new nickname..

heliocentrism said...

Dear Azah,

Have a go at it. It is such a new breath of air watching Nicolas in a sci fi movie. A difference compared to Bangkok Dangerous and National Treasures franchise.