I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another old adage: 'Honesty is The Best Policy'

When I was young, I was told to always, always tell the truth. As I grew up, I discovered honesty was not always the best policy. (ookay.. let me finish here first. Lol)

There were circumstances that require “white lies” or even “bohong sunat” to get me out of awkward situations, or most of the times just to make people happy. Scary isn’t it but really, it happens.

The fact is my opinion will sometimes clash with others. For example, when someone wears an ugly shirt and he/she obviously likes it, I won’t offend him/her by being honest. Come on, give me a break for awhile there. He he. Another example, when I lack a certain skill or talent, I will not tell anyone, fearing inadequacy.

Especially in this hectic working life, I’ve realized it is best to hide this form of lackin’ in something from anyone and quietly try to improve our skills.

Truth is, I can see that most mortals out there (or even I) devote a lifetime to creating the perfect facade. We try to protect it. We nurture it. In the meantime, a shallow and meaningless, fruitless existence is shadowed by the lights of the lie.

‘Cos in a way sometimes honesty derailed. Honesty betrayed.

Yet.

Worry not love, for in a relationship, honesty counts. Big time.

Pinkie promise

Wherever possible, tell the truth, or at least don't lie. Experience tells me that this is by far definitely the best policy. Lies are usually to cover up or give an inflated impression of success or expertise, right.

People underestimate how hard it is to lie. Guess what, we have to have a good memory and eye for detail to be a convincing liar.Yeap. Bad lies are easily detected and the damage done when discovered is just not worth it.

I had this one rather funny experience of a friend where she totally forgot the original lines of her make-up story that in the end, she actually forgot who’s who and what’s what. Told ‘ya it’s not easy to lie.

So. There is no need to lie when being honest works better.

Always.

2 comments:

umm ruman said...

Dear Suria,

You always have the right thoughts and the right words on certain statement. I totally agree with you.

I confess 'white lies' sometimes necessary in the sense of surviving particularly at work place; if not then you'll be bullied by others or battered with load of works.

But not in love relationship. Once you lie, forever it will haunted you. I believed in being honest.

heliocentrism said...

Dear Azah,

Being honest is very important. Which involves both parties in a relationship. Cos' seriously, being lied to is a no-no. Death sentence, man. He he.