I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Friday, January 2, 2009

Book Review #1 : No Time For Goodbye

This is my very first amateur attempt writing a review on a novel that I’ve read, suggested by a dear reader cum new friend, Azah. I believe it’s going to be a lot of fun for I have so much passion in reading good books, during any given blessed occasions.

No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay.


It may be a cliché to say that this novel is impossible to put down, but for me that was true. It took awhile to launch into it for I was crammed with series of fortunate adventures but then when I started reading it late one evening, all I can say I was damned if I was going to let my fatigue stop me from finishing.

No Time for Goodbye has a great premise, and a cast of real people trapped in a terrifying and totally extraordinary situation. Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge is a troublesome young girl, caught out late one night with her boyfriend Vince Fleming, a bad boy (why most of the stories love to portray such a character? To add some flavour maybe?) from a family of criminals, whom Cynthia’s parents dislike.

While fooling around in the back end of a car with a case of booze, this pair is spotted by her father, Clayton, who immediately hauls Cynthia back home. Following a huge family row, fueled by the booze she had shared with Fleming, the girl storms off to her bedroom, locks the door, and falls into an all-consuming slumber.

Here comes the fun part.


Imagine this: you're a teenage girl who wakes up one morning and finds that your family has vanished from the house. Your mother, father, and brother have simply disappeared off the face of the earth.

Have they abandoned you? Were they murdered? What made them steal away in the middle of the night, leaving you to deal with the heartbreak?

There’s no note of explanation, no signs of life, and no clues as to their whereabouts. Nothing. Scary, ey?

Years later, Cynthia Bigge is happily married with a child of her own, but she's still haunted by her family's disappearance. I mean come on. How in the world you can let it go, right? Bizarre clues become popping up that her father may still be alive, clues that bring Cynthia's sanity into question.

Even as her husband Terrence tries to hunt down the answers, he begins to question how stable his wife Cynthia is. The twists and turns are mind-bending, and the solution to the mystery is a shocker.

This is simply one of the best thrillers.

When I finally finished reading No Time for Goodbye, I sat in silence for a moment, my addled thoughts wrapped around the incredibly touching journey I had just traversed. One thing for sure, this thriller is a fast paced suspenseful story that will leave you guessing until the finish.

p/s: It is fun jotting on the book review. Bet there'll be more. Yieha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goshhhh!Suriaaaaaaa.........Thank you so much girl....I was screaming on top of my lung feeling damned happy when finally you wrote your first book reviews in your blog.It was so darn drop dead gorgeous and succulent. Since I became your hardcore followers, I follow every book you read. In fact, I ordered this book once I saw you read it.I just can't wait to hold it, smell it and read it. When you wrote the reviews makes my heart pounding to know the details of the story. You make my day. Thank you so much and keep on writing those magnificent reviews. I'm waiting eagerly to read the next reviews.

heliocentrism said...

Dear Azah,

Okay seriously. YOU make my day! Thank you so much for your kind words (am blushing here..so malu..hehe)Tell you what. I'll try to catch up on previous books that I really really love. Reading is such a bliss, right. You rock!