I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

As Chinese New Year approaches..

Chinese New Year: The Year of the Ox comes early this time around.


My office is pretty much filled with mandarin oranges courtesy of the Chinese students here (and also some from the book publishers). So nice of them to give me hampers of oranges so vibrant and munificently wished me the best in life. They even went into some trouble coming up with handmade cards attached wonderfully to the hampers.

Sweet, ey?

I asked some about their upcoming CNY celebration (a feeble effort to show my warmest appreciation after being swamped with oranges), eventho I know since forever about the traditions, cultures and affairs since my aunt is a Chinese.

This one cute Chinese girl announced that it is going to be an obstinate year and another asked, ‘What do you mean?’.

Then this one particular guy from Ipoh voluntarily in full spirit ventured into telling us the legend (by starting, “Bet you guys already know this..”) ; that in ancient times, Buddha
asked all the animals to meet him on Chinese New Year. Twelve came, and the Buddha named a year after each one. He announced that the people born in each animal's year would have some of that animal's personality. So basically those born in ox years tend to be painters, engineers, and what’s another one..owh yeah, architects. They are mainly very stable, fearless, obstinate, hard-working and friendly.

Pretty much like; do not mess with people born in this year. And the rest of us Malays were like, hypnotically nodding.

Personally, I supposed perception of the coming CNY will depend a lot on professed self prosperity and financial security but I do believe that most businessmen nowadays have started to realize that markets haven’t been as robust as before. Like always, truth always hurts in some way.

We all parted with the reminder for the umpteenth times by the Chinese Students Society to join their celebration of joy after the holiday at the grand hall and they guaranteed astounding and culturally Chinese performances and yeah don’t forget, they will also serve food. Yummy. There and there I made a mental note to surely attend. Lol

But they managed to add that they will not go overboard this year. There will be fireworks of 'cos like always but with shrugs, they said it’s going to be less colourful; “Less peruntukan maa… economy sudah effect all”.

*grins

With that, I wish all a very peaceful and blessed new year ahead.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!!

No comments: