I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Monday, February 16, 2009

Movie Review #4: Ong Bak 2

I wanted to watch Brad Pitt, but instead we were standing goggled-eyed staring up at the screen, stuck with Sifu & Tongga, Naan Kadavul, Wall-E and Ong Bak 2.

I’ve watched Wall-E so that one was out. He ached for Naan Kadavul (haha) but maybe some other time? So it was either Sifu & Tongga or Ong Bak 2. Blurgh. I assure you it was an easy decision-making less than 3.5 seconds. I wasn’t in the mood for action-packed plots but the hell..Sifu & Tongga? Geez.

Ong Bak 2 simply tells a simple revenge story. Orphaned by a mutiny in a fifteenth century rural Thai village, Tien played by the master of martial art Tony Jaa, is adopted by a pirate ringleader and trained in the arts of fighting of multiple disciplines.

I have to let you guys know that this ringleader, this bandit king, Chemang looks so much like M. Nasir, man. The moustache, the deep-eye piercing look, the long hair. I have to say he has the most interesting character I guess in this movie. So, after Tien’s sacrament of passage, he sets out to find his parents’ murderer and avenge their deaths.

Pretty much a stereotyped one.

Actually, for me I think Ong Bak 2 is a complete train wreck of a film. Jaa’s character stalks through the mud and rain like a deranged psychotic creepy guy. In this movie you get to see him tearing a path through an endless stream of serious case of revenge, hysterical adversaries with little sense of motivation beyond blind rage.

After 30 minutes, I thought to myself, ‘Mamat ni tak penat eh..asyik fight je…’ Lol.



Beyond the casting of its lead character, Tony Jaa, the film has nothing whatsoever to do with the original Ong-Bak, and is in fact this one is set 600 years previous to the events of that first film. In truth it does feature a plethora of fighting styles and numerous opportunities for Jaa to show them off, but the film lacks.. er.. so much.

Yes, this movie is all about Tony Jaa. So you can just forget about feeling sorry for the other characters, like Chernang a.k.a M. Nasir lookalike who since the beginning of the story managed a lil scored, at least to me. The ending maybe left me hanging and we were abit confused whether it IS how it supposed to end or if there will be another "Ong Bak",

Sadly, the film fails to inspire any sense of excitement in its audience, nor curiosity to know what will happen next. Mind you, I fell asleep for 5 minutes. And yeah, twice.

However, like always, Tony Jaa’s fighting skills are extraordinary. Pergh..all the flying all around, running and climbing on the back of running jumbos, it was superb. Well, although at first I had no clue why he has to look so damn pissed all the time, I couldn’t tear my eyes away from him as he executes a plethora of fighting styles and performs impossible feats of agility.

And I love the cinematography. The scenes are breathtaking ‘cos the film was shot in the jungle, so you rather treat your eyes to the beauty of greens and wild life.

The movie doesn’t rock my boat, but Tony Jaa does.

So, if you’re looking for some serious jaw-breaking, spine-cracking, twisted neck fight scenes (endless too I have to say), this is the right one. I mean come on, let’s face it, I feel like Tony Jaa can crack my skull open just with his little pinky finger. Yours too.

Enjoy.

No comments: