I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Movie review #3: Mamma Mia!The Movie

I know this movie is last year’s production, and I wanted so bad to watch it when it came out, but didn’t get the chance. So yeah, after half a year later, here I am, typing away on MAMMA MIA! The Movie. I know, I know. I am abit, err no..soooo left behind here, right. So be it. Ha ha.

‘Honey honey how he thrills me…ah hah

The way that you kiss good night, the way that you hold me tight…

And the way you do your…thing!...

Honey honey… don’t conceal it… ah hah!’

Only after about 3 minutes, I started singing (thanks for the subtitle/lyric on the bottom), moving my head to the beat. I couldn’t stop. I sang them all even some that I’m not so used to hearing to before this, like ‘Chiquitita you and I crrrryyyy…sing a new song..’ and ‘Lay all your love on me, don’t go wasting your emotion..’

So, if you just want to have fun and enjoy great music and be grandly entertained without having to think about what the movie means, Mamma Mia! The Movie is the right one for you. The movie follows the stage musical closely, but it brings you more visually because of all the resources there are in movies.

It was so refreshing to see a movie that while it centered around a rather adventurous woman's past, it entertained beautifully with no profanity, no one getting shot, cut, abused or bleeding (unless you count the cut Sophie got while shaving her legs), no guns, no car chases, no sex scenes, no nudity. So I guess quite mediocre to some. It is just a wonderful, clean fun movie. It was wonderful.

I laughed. I got misty eyed. I smiled a lot. And I felt happy.


Some of my friends know that I love Collin Firth. But gees, he sounds..how should I say it, rather not bad I guess in this movie. Not his thing though. But it’s okay, I forgive him this time around. Lol. Thankfully, he together with dashing Pierce Brosnan and another guy acted with one of the most inexhaustibly talented actresses working today (or ever, really), my favourite, Meryl Streep. Streep is Donna who is so wholly fleshed-out and so wonderfully, keenly, authentically realized that while you’re perfectly aware that it’s Meryl Streep playing the part, you won’t even recognize her in it.

And although the movie is packed with passable to delightful musical numbers of various sizes and scopes, when Donna sings “Winner Takes It All” in what is practically a single take on the top of a hill, I dare you not to get goosebumps. But one thing for sure, she can sing! And her two close, matured girlfriends are so funny I couldn’t stop chuckling.

The moment they opened their mouth singing;

‘Super Trouper lights are gonna find me, but I won’t feel blue,like I always do

Cause somewhere in the crowd there’s you…

Tonight the Super Trouper beams are gonna blind me, shining like a sun..

Smiling having fun..Feeling like a number one..’


..... I sang together with them like a silly loony. Ha ha.

Really, though, Mamma Mia isn’t a movie to be taken seriously anyway. It’s some escapist fun with great actors, beautiful scenery, and bubbly-fun music. A total freedom from the crazy world for awhile.

To me, it's a soft funny movie. It may not be a hooray teenager love story, but overall it brought a beautiful story for us. If you heard the lyrics from ABBA, you should soon realize that Mamma Mia! The movie is not about just love, but more likely it's about passion and honesty between you and your loved one.

Frankly, half the songs didn't even fit the so called plots, but who cares, right. All I know I had so much fun watching them singing and dancing. Even hours after watching it, the music was still going through my head, and I kept on smiling all throughout the night. Visually, musically and artistically I assure you that this is one movie that I will enjoy seeing again and again.


‘Anybody could be that guy… Night is young and the music’s hiiiigh…

With a bit of rock music,everything is fine..

You’re in the mood to daaaance… (yeah that’s me..go Suria..go Suria…)

And when you get the chance… You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet..

Only seventeeeeeen….(yeah sure…)

Dancing Queen…feel the beat from the tambourine oh yeaaaaah….!’

I can go on like this all night long, you know.. he he..and louder too. Yeah!

p/s: Actually the very moment I’m finishing typing this entry, I’m watching it again for the.. er..third time (a serious case of boredom and lack of DVDs). I need to sing. Well the truth is, I need to let it all out. That’s all.

6 comments:

intoxicated_lover said...

Nut case.

Just like me. Haha.

I've experienced the same thing when i watch the movie last year.

While watching the movie,me and my housemate sang the songs together thanks to the subtitles. i would say that this movie is very good at bringing people together.

The songs stuck in my mind for days and i found myself humming to them wherever i go..

Right after watching the movie i felt like running to the nearest shopping mall to get the Abba's compilation album! all of a sudden i've become Abba's no.1 fan.

Silly rite? but i totally agree that this movie is worth watching!

heliocentrism said...

Dear Cyeda,

The movie is so cool, right. I kept singing the Super Troupe song cos in that very scene, all the three wacko women looked so ridiculously amusing. And gees Streep looked hot too.

And that scene on the hill? Aiye.. made my heart swelled I ached for a dose of yummy hot chocolate to cool down. he he. Don't ask me why.

Abba rocks!

Anonymous said...

I think I was far left behind when it comes to musical movies nowadays. The one I loved to watch the most is My Fair Lady and The Sounds of Music. Forever old time favourite.

heliocentrism said...

Dear Azah,

Oh yea. Me too. I love both movies as well. I can still remember the night I splayed on the floor just laughing watching Eliza so hilariously singin' and teasin' Mr. Higgins.

Another favourite musical movie of mine would be Grease. Oh how much I drooled over John Travolta. And he simply stole my heart singing 'Sandy'(you knoe especialy the part why he stressed 'I wonder why y y oh why...' haha

miss nugget said...

i love this movie also laa..and the ones u listed(sound of music n grease) as well as mary poppins.it was so entertaining...there are also a few more that i just forgot the title..but honestly, i just love musicals..because to me,they are just gone easy to my brain...

heliocentrism said...

Dear Peed,

Exactly, babe. These musical plays are simply entertaining and you knoe, we don't really have to like crack our brain trying to figure out who actually kills who, who's the good/bad guy, or or..why is it that creepy lookin ghoul suddenly blows up into the air..he he he..

We get to relax and just enjoy the songs and yeah.. sing along to our heart's content. yeah!