I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I pity those who came knocking on random doors

It is quite common to have outsiders coming on to us, knocking on our doors, especially during semester holidays. These outsiders are book agents/salespersons, insurance agents and err..probably just those two categories. Perhaps I’ve left out another one or two. I’ll just chip in the extras if I could recall any later.

The reason am writing on this piece? People are simply annoyed.

We are suspicious at first wondering how on earth they manage to slip in, wandering from one faculty to another. Guess they have asked permissions from those up there before committing their act of pursuing happiness..err..I mean pursuing people.

One thing that we need to remember, they can never force us into buying things that we do not need. Hold on. Sometimes they do sell things that worth buying. However, we can always say no. Nicely.

I do agree though that sometimes their awkward, harsh attempts on stepping into our offices annoy us to huge extend. A colleague once recalled her experience with an agent who insolently pushed her door open without knocking. Given just a second or two of her to say anything, the agent simply put his files on the desk and with such pride, declared that he, yes he needs only 5 minutes of her time to explain insurance packages.

Long story short, these so-called agents are like plague that people tend to run away from. Simply locking their doors, saying nothing whenever anyone knocks on the door.

There are nice ones though, am telling you. Most of them actually. Imagine their apparent vulnerability, having equipped beforehand of the 110% rejection from each prospective customer. Of course they are nervous, especially the amateurs.

I detest anybody who is rude in his/her effort to push the agents away.

In my opinion, simply be nice to them. If you already have the things they are trying to sell to you, say so. If you don’t and you are not interested, say no politely. There are many nice, well-mannered ways that we can imply that ‘I don’t want it’ or ‘Sorry, I am busy’ without hurting these outsiders.

Like I said;

I pity those who came knocking on random doors.



No comments: