I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Monday, August 17, 2009

Wise Man : Part 10 'Seeing the best in others'

Me : I need to ask you something.

WM : Shoot.

Me : Should we always be suspicious and cynical to protect ourselves from cheats and swindlers?

WM : It ain’t life, babe if there are no cheats and swindlers. The question is not about whether we have to keep our eyes wide opened thinking about not-so-good things about people.

Me : You’re saying?

WM : I mean, people are not perfect. And truths to be told, some mortals we know possess more flaws than positive traits inside. And please, am not talking about myself. (chuckles)

Me : A ha! I get it. So it’s better to always look for the best in others and shut our eyes to the perfidy and manipulation that are certainly 'out there'?

WM : Smart girl.

Me : A serious-looking yet very nice lecturer back in college once told us in class that focusing the good things in other people would take you far. It also makes you feel better inside and out.

WM : You have to keep in mind tho’ that seeing the best in others is actually not, I repeat, not about pretending that everything in the garden is rosy and all is smooth sailing. It's about recognizing the shared humanity of all of us.

Me : Cos’ we are all just human.

WM : It means acknowledging that we ourselves have weaknesses and faults, and we know that we are doing the best we can, whatever others think. The best thing would be that you’re more relaxed and gain deeper psychological understanding of human motivation.

Me : Wow. Sometimes I wonder why I keep swerving around cracking my neck looking for answers from you. Now I know for sure.

WM : You can just simply tell me that I am one smart-a** guy, babe.

Me : Lol. Yeah…I give you that alright.

No comments: