I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Times when I can't play my best cards

A quick break (coffee! coffee!). It's the mid term break and the whole week is the ISO thingy and all seem gliding on water. I mean one second I thought I saw that guy bending over the printer machine then when I blinked, phoof! he was gone.

*grins

I’ve learned something since I started working. In some places where I’ve been, it seems that ‘playing stupid’ is considered a workable tactic to be well accepted as a colleague. Not so cool, uh? Am not sure other workplaces require such tricks but then again, why should I think of other places rather than mine? Ha ha.

Thing is, it sometimes pays off. I mean 'playing stupid' that is. I give you an example. I may ask a question even when I already know the obvious answer in order to verify the accuracy of my counterpart’s information or to simply test other colleague’s honesty.


This tactic works because people in my department (especially the ones who think they’ve mastered and achieved so much in life) tend to want to help me more when they actually think I am somehow abit handicapped by a lack of skills, knowledge, or information.

In other words, there are times when playing dumb is smart. Not always tho’, that I have to warn you..lol.

Which is bizarre.

But I guess once in awhile I’d be keen on playing stupid. As well as you know, in some way exposing my weaknesses( but never too much). In doing both I am actually showing my strength. And it is so much fun downplaying myself, knowing what I have in reserve. You’ll see that soon enough people won’t take you for granted.

I try not to play my best cards. A wise man once told me that too. At least not until someone really knows me and I fully trust them.

It’s your call. Either you’re not sure about anything and ‘act stupid’ or you’re a master in your own game and ‘playing stupid’ would transport you way up further than your colleagues.

Enough, enough.. Suria, back to the unfinished paperwork now!

No comments: