I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Movie Review #8: The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

As you might have guessed it, my so called movie marathon did not happen. *sigh.. I didn’t get to watch any of the movies that I’ve mentioned before. Am still counting for it though, at least a quarter, for some of them are still rolling at the cinemas.

Instead, last Thursday I watched The Taking of Pelham 123. First reason would be Denzel Washington. I mean come on, he is an Oscar winner right, so surely he only acts in well-scripted, cool movies.



He stars as Walter Garber, a transit control supervisor who’s been demoted to dispatching duty while under investigation for allegedly accepting a bribe on a business trip (which is not entirely his fault). When a group of criminals led by a man named Ryder (John Travolta) hijacks a New York City subway train and holds its passengers hostage, Garber is the unlucky dispatcher who receives the call. Kinda scary uh?

With a bag of popcorn in my hand, once the interplay between the two leads started, the film had me pinned to my seat. Both of these men give great performances in the film. Travolta with his goatee looks abit vulnerable and rough at the same time. Pretty cool. But Washington is the one I prefer. I mean Travolta was at his best in Grease (smirk as much as you like but I love him playing Danny..and that scene when he sang Sandy…oh Sandy..)

As we all know, Denzel has played many wise characters in his past films right, ones that know the answer to a conflict. The know-it-all kinda guy. But in this movie, he plays more of a reluctant character and gives deeper depth to the character, Garber.

Denzel doesn't make himself seem like a big time movie star, but instead a flawed man which really adds to the drama. I could feel his twisted emotions while he’s at it. I was touched big time by this one particular scene where he has to break down after being provoked but Ryder and reveal his guilt in a pending court decision.

Nice one. He said the storyline would be a lot better if they have the lead hijacker stays alive though. Opps.. a spoiler? Naah…lol.. Go and judge it for yourself.

No comments: