I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Saturday, August 15, 2009

People are dying.

Let me rephrase that title. Malaysians are dying. There. Scarier, right?

I’ve just read my daily dose of H1N1 website; http://h1n1.moh.gov.my/ and geez… 59 died already! I was like...'Whoooaa..' Like I said in my earlier entries, truth hurts but the thing is, whether we like it or not, we are, in fact even right now, exposed to the dangerous pandemic. Every single minute.

Just imagine, Malaysia’s death toll from the flu has topped to 59 since the first fatality just three weeks ago.

I remember this one time while chatting away with a college girl on my way to Kuantan and as we were solemnly recollecting our schemas on H1N1, suddenly this one tough-looking(with moustache and all) guy started coughing in the bus. He was just about metres away from us. At that point straightaway, both of us jerked ourself up on the seats, and robotically covered our nose and mouth.

Our life is so freakin’ fragile uh?

Early this morning while getting ready for work, I caught the news as the news presenter smoothly said that this rather ‘deathly situation’ would continue up ‘til 6 months and not surprisingly, a year onwards. *sighs.. there goes my backp-packing adventure across Australia. I know, I knoe. Australia is one of the critical countries. Even now they have hundred unreported cases there.

I even cut short my classes last week. Can you really blame me when most of the students, even tho they had masks covering their face and all, were coughing and sneezing all the time? I didn’t want to take the risk, man. We here have been reminded again and again by both the Vice Chancellor and his deputy to remind the kids before lectures to ask them to go to the university’s health centre if anyone at all faces any discomfort while breathing and high fever.

To be quite frank though, most students are keeping the problem to themselves cos’ they’d rather feel sick than being quarantined at the centre. Stupid? You tell me.

Check out this website about what the other countries are doing to control the spreading of the pandemic; http://www.channelnewsasia.com/fluoutbreak/gallery_20090428095443.htm

Please take extra care of yourself, y'all. Drink alot of water.

Other things that we should do to protect ourselves and loved ones from the flu? You know better.

Peace and out.

No comments: