I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The power of ads

Have you watched that new Digi advertisement? The one where this guy calls a girl who is such in gloomy mood then he tries to cheer her up? Man, am tellin’ ya, even up to tonight, I’ve watched it for innumerable times already but still it manages to make me chuckle.



The way they jiggle their upper bodies at the start of the dance is simply entertaining. Accompanied by that catchy Tamil beat is a total genius. (at least for me...ha ha)

As I’m talking about advertisement, I remember the ones directed by the late Yasmin Ahmad. This one particular ad is one of not just me, but maybe thousands other Malaysians’ favourites; Raya ad of a single mother with 7 sons. Remember that one? And I remember it was a huge deal in my mother's side of the family cos' the location of the ad was close to our beloved 'kampung'.



An ad so simple yet touched the hearts of Malaysians. I guess that's one the rare beauties committed wonderfully by the late Yasmin. I don't know about others, but for me, this ad about the so-called troubles (I mean, just imagine the real troubles of a mother to raise 7 sons...phew..) the 6 sons had to go through to please their mother, is one that I would find it hard to forget. The message is super clear; "Syurga terletak di bawah tapak kaki ibu."

What's to come this raya? Another touchy, melancholic ad? We'll see.

6 comments:

umm ruman said...

Since few months back till now..I seldom and rarely watch TV except HBO..Guess I missed out a lot lately and those ad from aruah Yasmin Ahmad are jewels in the Nile..

sukhi nahir said...

The digi ads are generally good but the one you have hIghlighted is especially so. Yasmin Ahmad was (dare I say it) a GENIUS. Tan Sri P.Ramlee, Lat, Yasmin Ahmad,....they saw it simply and clearly.

heliocentrism said...

Dear libro striscia,

I'm not spending much time watching tv as well, compared to last time but it happens that nowadays I keep my tv on all the time to brighten my rather quiet, gloomy non-permanent shelter. So whenever catchy tunes grab me, my eyes would roam and stick to the screen.

From what I can see, some ads are quite good. But such a big loss now with Yasmin gone, cos its kinda hard to have our eyes and mind feasted on packed-with-values ads anymore.

heliocentrism said...

Dear sukhi nahir,

I agree. She was indeed a gem. But just look around. Maybe it's the way how Malaysia is programmed, cos only after these special mortals left the world, people start to appreciate their unforgettable masterpieces. Ignorance or simply stupidity?

pjOyrawks said...

cuya! the digi ad scares me!!! the cat or i dunno whatver it is, really scary!!! there's no such animal! plus, imagine they are dancing in your lawn! double scary! isk isk

heliocentrism said...

Dear Pjoy,

I watched it again after your comment, trying to somehow look for the scary part. Instead, I found myself chuckling again.

Im sorry, babe. I still find it funny la. hehehe.. tak tahan. I mean, don't you feel like wanting to shake that bom bom with them and move to the beat..? Auw!