I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Confession of A Bookaholic

I have a confession to make. Remember When You're Engulfed in Flame by David Sedaris?


So here goes. I haven't finished reading it yet. Ouch. (and I've never committed such sin. Ever!)

I know, I know. I put up the pic in my 'Book I'm Reading' slot at the corner of my page about 3 months ago, right.

I stopped the minute I realized that he's gay. Whoa. Okay, here's the thing. I am not being judgemental or anything and that's his right to conduct his sexual life right, but.. geez. I tried.

I tried to be such a sport and laughed at his comical writings and remarks and I assure you, he is good.

Reading the short stories at first is like watching how he thinks. The events are told as a stream of consciousness that somehow ties together beautifully. Each one of it is touching and poignant for me at first. In his special hilarious way, the book is interesting and so original that I thought the characters are obviously taken from real life. Most of them at least.

But.

I started to feel bit uneasy when he continued talking about how the guy he saw while walking on the street made his heart goes 'BAM BAM BAM'.. lol. And how his boyfriend did his thang the night before. EEuuu.

One thing though, he's funny. Trust me, halfway reading it, I was already laughing so hard, my cheeks hurt. It's just that, I didn't have the heart and maybe time to continue eating his words.

About 1/4 away from the ending, after weeks lying so nicely and quietly on the desk in my office, the fiction is now in the hand of a colleague. Ha ha.

I'll give a full report on it once it's home. Lol. (or maybe never)

By the way.

See my new 'Book I'm reading'? Merely just doing my job, pal. He he.

2 comments:

umm ruman said...

Thank God you wrote your review. I almost have the urge of buying it. Thanks Suria. Me too not to that kind of theme.

heliocentrism said...

It is soo not our thing, right? hehe. Yuck.