I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Movie Review #7 : He's Just Not That Into You

The movie opens with a young boy hitting a little girl and telling her she is made of dog poo poo. The girl’s mother explains to her that when a boy says mean things to a girl, it means he likes her. Mean but cute.

Then, cut to present day and a world of women completely screwed up because they have no clue how to understand men.

It is one sharp, astringent comedy on mainly the 21st-century dating mechanisms and such and I surely sure that most people out there are hugely attracted to the movie largely because it has many famous actors in it. Of all the cast, I opt for Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Alex (Justin Long).

That Alex, I remember back then when he was just a really minor actor, most of the time acting as nerd or rather someone who everyone avoids bumping to. But look at him now, wow, acting along Drew, Aniston and Affleck. Cool, ey?

Meanwhile, Goodwin is great as the awkwardly desperate girl-next-door that is trying to find the love of her life, while her girlfriends are comfortable in their multi-year relationships. I won't talk about the other friends of hers like Jennifer Connelly and Aniston cos' their characters are just simple. Simply.

I guess, for about two hours, I enjoyed the movie. And I think my partner loved it more than me eventho' it's obvious it is a chick flick. Ha ha. Gotcha!

There is this one superb monologue, by Drew Barrymore that I like who complains that she is driven crazy by the ways guys always seem to be communicating in another medium. She calls at home but he doesn't pick up. She calls on his cell, and he e-mails her. She texts him. He Twitters back and leaves coded hints on MySpace. She tries snail mail. He apparently never learned how to open one.

It is hilarious when she stresses that she yearns for the days when people had one telephone and one answering machine, and a guy had either definitely called you, or he had not. Nowadays it' is unbelievably exhausting to keep track of things. Totally exhausting.

I mean, just listening to her saying all those words already exhausting.

The movie is quite entertaining. I mean, you don't really have to put your special thinking cap on.

There are likable moments here and there. I'm not saying I never laughed. I am saying, though, that I laughed more at that misleading YouTube video, and that as a whole He's Just Not That Into You is just not that good. The video in which the three rather funny cast members including Alex assured wary men that the film is not a generic chick flick, offering as proof a list of 10 chick-flick clichés that the movie does not have.

Truthfully, for me, that video, while it’s funny (actually funnier than the film) is somewhat disingenuous. But what the hell. You have to watch it.


Watch it here.

So.

He's Just Not That Into You vs. Love, Actually?

I vote for the latter.

Definitely.

4 comments:

intoxicated_lover said...

I know that u opt for 'Love, Actually' bcos u are a sucker for Hugh Grant.

I know that.

That movie is not that good actually..(hehe.don't hit me)

And Hugh Grant is getting old and wrinkly....

heliocentrism said...

Hey.. watch out.. It is a good movie.

Btw, whats wrong in a guy who's getting old and wrinkly..? Lol.

Hugh's such a sweetie. Love that lovely accent of his. I favour his 'Whoopsidaisie' from Notting Hill.

umm ruman said...

I guess I'm too old with this kind of movie..:-(. But your review always entertaining and I like it when you mentioned about having one telephone and one answering machine. How nice it with be back to the old days...

heliocentrism said...

Hey wait..who you callin' old. You'd be still running up and down the stairs at the age of 60 with a wide grin pasted on your cheeks. Lol.

Well, actually I can't really say it's for youngsters 'cos I suppose Aniston plays as a 40 something woman with a live-in bf of 7 years.. in a way, it is simply a fun comedy flick..