I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~ Albany Bach Reid

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Book Review : Still Alice

I simply love the book. Actually I finished reading Still Alice about two months ago but never got the chance to write something about it. Until now.

I dig this book not only because it’s an amazing piece of literature but because of its impact on me. I can't stop thinking about it and when I was reading it I couldn't put it down. It is the story of Alice, a brilliant professor of cognitive psychology at Harvard and a world-renowned expert in linguistics who discovers she has early onset Alzheimer's disease.

This book is beautiful and terrifying - ringing true in every word. (and in fact am holding this book in my hand right now resisting the urge to read it again..)

If you really want to know how it looks from the outside, and feels from the inside, to have Alzheimer's Disease, this book will tell you. It is powerful and will stay with me.

Truth is, so many people in their 50's and 60's are worried that this disease lies in wait for them. In fact I used to think a lot about it way before this for I thought about how difficult it is to not just live, but survive by having to entirely depend on someone else. I mean, just imagine.. day by day, you will slowly lose you memory and in a way, yourself, against your will.

Though it can't alleviate anyone's fears I think reading about Alice's struggle might take away the mystery of this identity erasing disease.

The author, Lisa Genova, much like the title character, is a doctor of Neuroscience at Harvard, and well informed on her topic. She shows great insight into the changing mental state of Alice as well as describing some of the same events from the perspective of those who observe Alice.

Finally, for me, Still Alice is more than well worth mentioning.


p/s: When you finally have a copy of this book, take every test Alice is given in the book. Will keep your brains as active as possible.

2 comments:

umm ruman said...

Dear Suria,

This book is simply worth reading. I just can't resist buying it since I've read this review. Even though my interest now moved to more religious books but I managed to peek around and read several fictions genre. Thanks for sharing and by reading this book, perhaps we will get more understanding regarding the disease.

heliocentrism said...

Dear Azah,

One thing that intrigues me bout this book is about the possibility of anyone to experience memory loss.

Just imagine those who suffer Alzheimer have forgotten so much of their wonderful lives with related to family and friends, even the people they love. Scary.

So basically, this book tells what Alice feels and experiences, which is heartbreaking.